SHL Mechanical Comprehension Test: Format, Requirements & Preparation Tips
Your guide to maximising your performance on SHL mechanical comprehension tests.
Page contents:Jump to:
Note: AssessmentDay and its products are not affiliated with SHL. Our practice tests are intended only for candidate preparation, not for employee selection.
SHL mechanical comprehension tests
SHL is a leading global talent measurement company that offers a range of assessment tools and solutions to help organizations identify and develop top talent. One of these assessment tools is the mechanical comprehension test, which is used to assess a candidate's ability to understand and apply mechanical principles and solve problems involving mechanical concepts.
Format of the SHL mechanical comprehension test
The SHL mechanical comprehension test typically consists of a series of multiple-choice questions that are designed to assess the candidate's understanding of mechanical concepts and principles. The questions may involve scenarios involving gears, levers, pulleys, and other mechanical components, as well as questions about forces, movements, and energy. The test is usually timed and the candidate is expected to answer a certain number of questions within a set time frame.
To give you an idea of a type of question, here is a screenshot from one of our mechanical reasoning tests:
What is required?
In order to perform well on the mechanical reasoning test, the candidate must have a basic understanding of the principles of mechanics, such as forces, movements, and energy. They should also have an understanding of the concepts of mechanical components such as gears, levers, and pulleys and how they work. The candidate should also be able to identify patterns, recognize relationships between different components, and apply logical reasoning skills to solve problems involving mechanical concepts.
Is the SHL mechanical comprehension test hard?
The difficulty of the SHL mechanical comprehension test can vary depending on the individual's background and understanding of mechanical principles. However, it can generally be considered challenging as it requires a good understanding of mechanical concepts and the ability to analyze and interpret mechanical situations. It is recommended to prepare for the test by studying mechanical concepts and practicing with sample questions.
Did You Know
Practising mock tests can increase your test performance by over 50%
Advice for taking the SHL mechanical comorehension test
Here we will list our top 6 tips and nuggets of advice to help you with your mechanical test:
- Brush up on mechanical concepts: Before taking the mechanical reasoning test, it is important to refresh your memory on the basic principles of mechanics, including forces, movements, and energy. This will help you to better understand the questions and increase your chances of getting a high score.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: One of the best ways to prepare for the mechanical reasoning test is to practice with sample questions. Practice tests are the best method to revise, we have practice mechanical comprehension tests, so take advantage of these resources to become familiar with the types of questions that you may encounter on the test.
- Study Mechanical Drawings: Mechanical drawings are often used in the mechanical reasoning test to represent the components and mechanisms being discussed. Familiarizing yourself with these types of drawings will help you to understand the questions and solve the problems more easily.
- Read the Questions Carefully: Before answering each question, be sure to read it carefully and understand what is being asked. Make sure that you understand the scenario and the components involved, as well as the problem you are being asked to solve.
- Use Process of Elimination: If you are unsure of the correct answer to a question, use the process of elimination to eliminate the incorrect answers. This can increase your chances of choosing the correct answer and improving your score.
- Manage Your Time Wisely: The mechanical reasoning test is usually timed, so it is important to manage your time wisely. Make sure that you have enough time to read and understand each question and to select the best answer. Do not spend too much time on one question, as this can negatively impact your overall score.
Other test publishers...
You may also be interested in these popular tests sections.