SHL (SHL group Ltd) is a global psychometric test publisher, talent measurement consultancy and occupational psychology specialist. SHL operates in over 30 languages, deploys solutions in over 150 countries and maintains a presence in over 50 countries. Clients include FTSE 100 corporations, Fortune 500 companies as well as numerous SMEs and local business around the world. SHL has a huge market presence in the psychometric testing industry, and produce some of the most commonly-encountered psychometric tests in the UK and around the world. Due to the size and popularity of SHL and its products, candidates are most likely to encounter SHL tests during recruitment processes.
SHL aptitude tests
SHL provides psychometric ability tests, including numerical, verbal, diagrammatic and inductive reasoning tests, commonly used for candidate screening and at assessment centres. As well as the overall score, speed, accuracy and caution are assessed during the course of the exam, and provided with the final test score. SHL psychometric tests are available at every level of position, ranging from entry level administration to senior executive, and SHL ability tests can be used for assessment, development and selection. The most commonly used SHL aptitude tests used by recruiters are the SHL Verify range of tests, with the most common types listed here:
- SHL numerical reasoning tests: Numerical reasoning tests will assess your understanding of numerical, statistical, financial and graphical data, and your ability to make deductions based on that data. These questions will likely be relevant to the workplace, requiring the candidate to solve realistic numerical problems. The SHL verify numerical reasoning test typically lasts 17-25 minute depending on job level.
- SHL verbal reasoning tests: Numerical reasoning tests will test your ability to understand and make logical deductions based on verbal/written data. Candidates will often be provided with a passage of written information, often relevant to the work place, and ask the candidate to answer questions based on the written information provided. The SHL verbal reasoning tests typically last 17-19 minutes, depending on job level.
- SHL inductive reasoning tests: Inductive reasoning tests assess your ability to problem solve, and deal with unfamiliar information. Candidates will be required to think conceptually and analytically, often using shapes and patterns. This ability may also be referred to as logical or diagrammatic reasoning. The SHL verify inductive reasoning test typical lasts 25 minutes.
- SHL mechanical reasoning tests: This test measures a candidates understanding of basic mechanical principles and their application to devices, such as pulleys, gears and leavers. The SHL verify mechanical reasoning test typically lasts 10 minutes.
- The SHL Management and Graduate Item Bank (MGIB): This battery of tests comprised of verbal, numerical and productive thinking ability tests, aimed at graduate and management level positions. Productive thinking assess a candidates creativity and ability to find abstract solutions and explanations to problems .These tests are considered to be more challenging than the standard verifies tests. The time limit for the verbal reasoning test is 25 minutes, the numerical reasoning is 35 minutes and productive thinking time limit is 32 minutes. These tests may be used for selection, assessment and for development.
- Bespoke ability tests: Bespoke ability tests: In specific industries (e.g. finance) and/or specific roles (e.g. sales), SHL make design custom made tests, tailored to the specifications requested by company using the test. These tests will be highly-relevant to the industry/job role and will often assess multiple reasoning abilities within the same test.
SHL personality questionnaires
SHL also provide personality and motivational questionnaires, both paper and pencil and online for candidate assessment or development. These personality tests are designed to assess your preferences in the workplace, and explore your personal style of working, there is no right or wrong answers with these tests and candidates will not be timed. An example of an SHL personality questionnaire is shown below:
- The OPQ32: This questionnaire is a personality test designed by SHL. It comprises over a hundred question items that explore 32 specific personality qualities. Questions on the test will explore your preferences towards each of these qualities, and compile the results into a report, providing insight into your personality and your potential competencies.
Preparing for SHL psychometric tests
SHL have a website for test-takers called SHLDirect. They have a limited number of practice tests and sometimes run trials of new tests which are open for candidates to trial.
AssessmentDay offers numerous numerical, verbal and inductive reasoning practice tests, presenting you with a method of practice and preparation before undertaking an SHL ability test. Ensuring you are fully prepared beforehand will maximize your chances of performing highly on these tests because you will be less anxious and able to your true ability.
Experts Reveal All
Psychometric tests: Most candidates do not perform ther best the first time they take an aptitude test. Reasearch has demonstrated what many candidates have found already; that their test scores tend to improve after repeat testing (that is, practice). Practice reduces anxiety and enables you to reveal your true ability.